Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Islands
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
About the distillery
Tobermory distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery situated on the Hebridean island of Mull, Scotland in the village of Tobermory. The distillery which was formerly known as Ledaig, was founded in 1798 and has changed hands several times, having undergone a number of periods of closure.
The only distillery on Mull, it is currently owned by Burn Stewart Distillers, a subsidiary of Distell Group Limited of South Africa. Its main product, Tobermory single malt, is used in the blends Scottish Leader and Black Bottle. The distillery also produces a smaller amount of peated whisky, which remains known under the former name, Ledaig.
Pronunciation : "led-chig"
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own a hogshead of Ledaig single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 2009.
Originally filled with Ledaig spirit on 6th May 2009, the whisky has since been maturing in a hogshead (cask number 700501) which is currently held in bond at Whisky Broker Ltd.
The cask was regauged on 7th October 2020 summarising the following:
- New bulk 212.17 litres | New strength 57.6% ABV | 122.21 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 303 x 70cl bottles of 11 Year Old Ledaig whisky.
1) the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Very pale gold / straw yellow.
A rich sweet nose with a soft smoke. There is a tantalisation of mixed nuts stir fried in butter with toffee notes, alongside yellow stone fruits – think peach and apricot. As the initial sweetness subsides there is a delicious residue of smoked salmon with a sprinkle of crunchy flakes of sea salt.
Oh so bold smoke that quickly takes a back seat to the overall cereal sweetness of the spirit. The ABV keeps the smoke light as a whisper. There is also a lovely soft peat in the background with a whisp of heather. The fruit builds in the mid section giving slightly under-ripe peach and a whiff of polished leather. The diminish has a lovely touch of iodine that dries the palate.
Medium firm and wonderfully balanced.
Medium to long finish with reminders of its island heritage – smoke, peat and touches of iodine.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #67280Sold 24/01/2021 £60.00 €69.55$83.49
- Lot #67133Sold 24/01/2021 £70.00 €81.14$97.41
- Lot #67274Sold 24/01/2021 £90.00 €104.32$125.24
- Lot #65824Sold 24/01/2021 £220.00 €255.00$306.13
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|24/01/21 18:39||£13,000.00 €15,068.30$18,089.50|
|24/01/21 17:03||£9,500.00 €11,011.45$13,219.25|
|24/01/21 17:03||£9,100.00 €10,547.81$12,662.65|
|16/01/21 19:44||£9,000.00 €10,431.90$12,523.50|
|16/01/21 19:44||£7,500.00 €8,693.25$10,436.25|
|16/01/21 08:20||£3,500.00 €4,056.85$4,870.25|
|16/01/21 08:18||£3,000.00 €3,477.30$4,174.50|
|16/01/21 08:17||£2,500.00 €2,897.75$3,478.75|
|15/01/21 20:07||£2,000.00 €2,318.20$2,783.00|
|15/01/21 19:15||£1,525.00 €1,767.63$2,122.04|