Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 50.2%
About the distillery
The Macallan distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Craigellachie, Moray. The Macallan Distillers Ltd, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Edrington Group which purchased the brand from Highland Distillers in 1999.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Macallan single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 1990.
Originally filled with Macallan spirit on 11th October 1990 the whisky has since been maturing in an American Oak hogshead (cask number 018224) which is currently held in bond at the Macallan distillery.
The cask was regauged on 5th February 2020 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 251 litres | Original strength 63.5% ABV | 159.2 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 140 litres | New strength 50.2% ABV | 70.2 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 200 x 70cl bottles of 29 Year Old Macallan whisky (turning 30 years old on 11th October 2020).
1) the cask photo shown is for display purposes only and is not the actual cask being sold.
2) the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Colour : Good solid gold
Nose : Quite light. Sweet malt and vanilla ice cream. Orange oil with a whisp of slightly over cooked butterscotch. Over time the bouquet develops, becoming more mellow and rounded with sweet custard and ginger perkin biscuits.
Palate : Stunningly smooth with mature oak and echos of polished leather and tobacco leaf. The middle then unfolds into a background of cloves and ginger and this mingles beautifully with dried fruit that shimmers between dried dates and apricot. A hint of dark chocolate and honeyed sweetness that eventually dries to the tip of the tongue.
Body : Delicately light with an exquisite softness and yet a full etherial, mouthfeel.
Finish : Medium-long with a re-emergence of the orange folding into a spicy end. It is mannered, complex and finishes on the oak.
- Annual storage fee will become payable by the buyer.
- The buyer will also be liable for a £30 administration fee payable to Edrington to transfer ownership.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business or private individual connected to the trade), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #49860Sold 26/07/2020 £30.00 €34.56$41.67
- Lot #46121Sold 26/07/2020 £37.50 €43.20$52.09
- Lot #49851Sold 26/07/2020 £37.50 €43.20$52.09
- Lot #49852Sold 26/07/2020 £40.00 €46.08$55.56
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|26/07/20 19:29||£217,500.00 €250,538.25$302,129.25|