Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Age: 30
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 52.1%
About the distillery
The Macallan distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Craigellachie, Moray. The Macallan Distillers Ltd, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Edrington Group which purchased the brand from Highland Distillers in 1999.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Macallan single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 1989.
Originally filled with Macallan spirit on 28th February 1989 the whisky has since been maturing in a first fill oak hogshead (cask number 2807) which is currently held in bond at Deanston distillery.
The cask was regauged on 8th October 2019 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 254 litres | Original strength 63.5% ABV | 161.2 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 128 litres | New strength 52.1% ABV | 66.9 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 182 x 70cl bottles of 30 Year Old Macallan whisky (turning 31 years old on 28th February 2020).
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Colour : Mahoganied bronze.
Nose : Delightful nose of salted caramel sweetness with hints of honey. Rolls into spiced leather and chocolate that melts with orange blossom tinged marmalade. All underscored by Speyside’s famous floral signature with malted barley.
Palate : A smooth beginning of mature oak with echos of polished leather and tobacco leaf. The middle then unfolds into ground nutmeg and ginger biscuits and this mingles beautifully with stoned fruit that shimmers between dried dates and apricot. There is a background of chocolate and honeyed sweetness that adds yet another layer of opulence.
Body : Delicately light with an exquisite softness and a full, yet etherial, mouthfeel.
Finish : Hazelnut oil and honey wrap the stoned fruit. The final afterglow is of muted spice held beautifully in the lingering influence of balanced oak. Ends in a finish that is very long and softly warm.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer to Deanston (Distell International Limited) (currently £1.08 per week).
- The buyer will also be liable for a one-off £30 ownership transfer fee payable to Deanston (Distell International Limited).
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described. Insurance against any damage during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price. Please note that if insurance is not selected, due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #34900Sold 27/10/2019 £45.00 €49.60$58.69
- Lot #35118Sold 27/10/2019 £50.00 €55.12$65.22
- Lot #34872Sold 27/10/2019 £50.00 €55.12$65.22
- Lot #34561Sold 27/10/2019 £55.00 €60.63$71.74
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|27/10/19 19:06||£160,500.00 €176,919.15$209,340.15|