Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
About the distillery
The Macallan distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Craigellachie, Moray. The Macallan Distillers Ltd, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Edrington Group which purchased the brand from Highland Distillers in 1999.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Macallan single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 1990.
Originally filled with Macallan spirit on the 7th February 1990, the whisky has since been maturing in a first fill oak hogshead (cask number 1113) which is currently held in bond at Deanston distillery.
The cask was regauged on 19th February 2021 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 254 litres | Original strength 63.5% ABV | 161.2 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 84.2 litres | New strength 54.6% ABV | 46 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 120 x 70cl bottles of 31 Year Old Macallan whisky.
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Steady solid golden colour.
Light, with sweet malt and orange tinged vanilla ice cream. There is butterscotch toffee that takes the sweetness deeper, but it is classically rounded and mellow. This is classic Macallan with light esters giving ripe orchard fruits, but with some oak dryness cleansing off the end.
Light and spicy with the same sweetness first discovered in the nose. The spiciness mixes with the cereal notes to give homemade biscuits, but oaky dryness keeps the balance en point. The sweetness travels throughout the taste and coats the mouth till it acts as a backdrop for the spice and oak. There are slight whisps of sherry, but very restrained and deep in the undergrowth.
Medium light and very, very soft.
Medium finish with the orange returning under the spice. Well balanced and complex and the end gives a tobacco dryness of the tip of tongue.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer to Deanston (Distell International Limited) (currently £1.08 per week).
- The buyer will also be liable for a one-off £30 ownership transfer fee payable to Deanston (Distell International Limited).
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #71674Sold 28/03/2021 £25.00 €28.82$34.50
- Lot #71895Sold 28/03/2021 £27.50 €31.70$37.94
- Lot #72099Sold 28/03/2021 £40.00 €46.11$55.19
- Lot #72101Sold 28/03/2021 £55.00 €63.40$75.89
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|28/03/21 18:23||£125,500.00 €144,663.85$173,164.90|
|28/03/21 18:23||£125,000.00 €144,087.50$172,475.00|
|28/03/21 17:58||£124,500.00 €143,511.15$171,785.10|
|28/03/21 17:58||£124,000.00 €142,934.80$171,095.20|
|28/03/21 17:58||£122,500.00 €141,205.75$169,025.50|
|28/03/21 17:58||£122,000.00 €140,629.40$168,335.60|
|28/03/21 17:58||£122,000.00 €140,629.40$168,335.60|
|26/03/21 22:34||£121,500.00 €140,053.05$167,645.70|
|26/03/21 22:34||£121,000.00 €139,476.70$166,955.80|
|26/03/21 22:34||£116,500.00 €134,289.55$160,746.70|
|26/03/21 22:34||£116,000.00 €133,713.20$160,056.80|
|26/03/21 22:34||£106,000.00 €122,186.20$146,258.80|
|26/03/21 12:00||£105,500.00 €121,609.85$145,568.90|
|26/03/21 11:59||£105,000.00 €121,033.50$144,879.00|
|26/03/21 11:59||£101,500.00 €116,999.05$140,049.70|
|21/03/21 08:53||£101,000.00 €116,422.70$139,359.80|
|21/03/21 08:53||£100,500.00 €115,846.35$138,669.90|
|19/03/21 23:42||£100,000.00 €115,270.00$137,980.00|
|19/03/21 20:56||£46,000.00 €53,024.20$63,470.80|
|19/03/21 20:56||£45,000.00 €51,871.50$62,091.00|
|19/03/21 20:56||£40,000.00 €46,108.00$55,192.00|
|19/03/21 20:07||£31,250.00 €36,021.88$43,118.75|
|19/03/21 19:32||£31,000.00 €35,733.70$42,773.80|
|19/03/21 19:32||£29,500.00 €34,004.65$40,704.10|
|19/03/21 19:31||£27,000.00 €31,122.90$37,254.60|
|19/03/21 19:31||£25,750.00 €29,682.03$35,529.85|
|19/03/21 19:30||£22,000.00 €25,359.40$30,355.60|
|19/03/21 19:27||£11,000.00 €12,679.70$15,177.80|
|19/03/21 19:17||£10,000.00 €11,527.00$13,798.00|