Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
If bid is placed on this item within the last 5 minutes of the auction, the timer will be extended by 10 minutes.
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Islay
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 43.7%
About the distillery
Bowmore is a distillery that produces scotch whisky on the isle of Islay, an island of the Inner Hebrides. The distillery, which lies on the South Eastern shore of Loch Indaal, is one of the oldest in Scotland and is said to have been established in 1779. The distillery is owned by Beam Suntory who also own the Auchentoshan, Glen Garioch, Laphroaig and Ardmore distilleries and produce the Teacher's Highland Cream blend.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Bowmore single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 1987.
Originally filled with Bowmore spirit on 25th June 1987 the whisky has since been maturing in a Hogshead (cask number 1581) which is currently held in bond at the Bowmore distillery.
The cask was regauged on 24th August 2020 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 243 litres | Original strength 63.7% ABV | 154.6 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 173 litres | New strength 43.7% ABV | 75.7 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 247 x 70cl bottles of 33 Year Old Bowmore whisky.
1) the cask photo shown is for display purposes only and is not the actual cask being sold.
2) the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Blush and bright gold
Slight notes of bonfire with a very pleasant oak structure. In the background there is a waft of a floral violet bouquet and the whole is coated by memories of milk chocolate. Sublime and distant nose that should be expected from such an age and Bowmore heritage.
The oak is prevalent at the start and drys to a dusty finish. But the wave of sweetness overtakes any astringency. It has salted butterscotch and there is a background of fruits: ogee melon, lychee, kiwi. The smoke is a mere whisp that clings to the butteriness and the dimish is a prickle of clove and ginger spice. Overall, an astonishing balancing act that could only come from an Islay pedigree
The body is light and ethereal, just strong enough to hold the flavours and allow the taste journey.
Medium to long, but without being overpowering. The spiced oak and the honeyed fruit live on with the whisp of bonfire making a final call just at the end.
- Annual storage fee will become payable by the buyer.
- The buyer will also be liable for a £150 (+VAT) administration fee payable to Beam Suntory to transfer ownership.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business or private individual connected to the trade), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described. Insurance against any damage during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price. Please note that if insurance is not selected, due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #58682 LiveCurrent Bid £20.00 €22.08$26.02
- Lot #56387 LiveCurrent Bid £20.00 €22.08$26.02
- Lot #58802 LiveCurrent Bid £20.00 €22.08$26.02
- Lot #58804 LiveCurrent Bid £20.00 €22.08$26.02
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|20/10/20 12:22||£33,000.00 €36,428.70$42,929.70|
|20/10/20 10:54||£32,000.00 €35,324.80$41,628.80|
|19/10/20 13:41||£31,000.00 €34,220.90$40,327.90|
|19/10/20 13:40||£25,000.00 €27,597.50$32,522.50|
|18/10/20 19:59||£22,000.00 €24,285.80$28,619.80|
|18/10/20 19:49||£20,000.00 €22,078.00$26,018.00|
|17/10/20 20:44||£10,200.00 €11,259.78$13,269.18|
|16/10/20 19:03||£10,100.00 €11,149.39$13,139.09|