Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 44.6%
About the distillery
The Macallan distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Craigellachie, Moray. The Macallan Distillers Ltd, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Edrington Group which purchased the brand from Highland Distillers in 1999.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Macallan single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 1989.
Originally filled with Macallan spirit on 6th March 1989 the whisky has since been maturing in a refill customer hogshead (cask number 3493) which is currently held in bond at the Macallan distillery.
The cask was regauged on 23rd November 2018 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 246 litres | Original strength 63.5% ABV | 156.1 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 152 litres | New strength 44.6% ABV | 67.9 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 217 x 70cl bottles of 29 Year Old Macallan whisky (turning 30 years old on 6th March 2019).
1) the cask photo shown is for display purposes only and is not the actual cask being sold. Macallan are currently not allowing photos to be taken of the cask being sold due to warehouse maintenance.
2) the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Colour : white wine
Nose : Subtle and very elegant for such an old Macallan. Masses of fruity and gourmet aromas with flamboyant spiced pears, discrete peach and baked apples. Yummy floral notes of orange blossom also appears in the background. Quite springy and fresh for a 1989 Macallan.
Palate : Spicy, warm and oaky on the tongue with notes of star anise, toasted bread, gentian and hints of liquorice and honeysuckle.
Finish : Drier towards the end with a lingering oaky aftermarth.
- Annual storage fee will become payable by the buyer (currently £19.35+VAT per annum).
- The buyer will also be liable for a £30 administration fee payable to Edrington to transfer ownership.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described. Insurance against any damage during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price. Please note that if insurance is not selected, due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #22752Sold 24/02/2019 £30.00 €33.36$37.65
- Lot #21236Sold 24/02/2019 £45.00 €50.04$56.48
- Lot #22535Sold 24/02/2019 £47.50 €52.82$59.62
- Lot #22599Sold 24/02/2019 £55.00 €61.17$69.03
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|24/02/19 19:06||£161,500.00 €179,604.15$202,698.65|