Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
About the distillery
Glenfarclas is a Speyside whisky distillery in Ballindalloch, Scotland. Glenfarclas translates as meaning valley of the green grass. The distillery is owned and run by the Grant family. The distillery has six stills which are heated directly by gas burners.
The distillery has a production capacity of around 3.5 million litres of spirit per year. Normally four stills are used for production with two kept in reserve.
The distillery has approximately 68,000 casks maturing on site, in traditional dunnage warehouses, with stock from every year from 1953 to the current year. Glenfarclas produce a traditional Highland malt with a heavy sherry influence.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Glenfarclas single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 2011.
Originally filled with Glenfarclas spirit on 23rd November 2011 this Bourbon Barrel is currently held in bond at Beam Suntory Springburn Bond.
The cask was regauged in October 2020 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 200 litres | Original strength 63.6% ABV | 127.4 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 167 litres | New strength 59.2% ABV | 99.1 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 238 x 70cl bottles of 9 Year Old whisky.
Please note the cask being sold has a set of Conditions of Sale attached (we can provide these in full on request), and we would draw attention to the restrictions as follows:
4.1 Where the Goods are not pre-bottled whisky already bearing the Brand, you (and any third parties that you supply the Goods to) shall under no circumstances or at any time bottle or containerise the Goods as a single malt product and/or sell the Goods to any person for the purpose of resale as a single malt product.
4.2 Where the Goods are pre-bottled whisky bearing the Brand, they shall be sold as bottled products in the containers provided by us and shall not be rebottled or blended with other whisky prior to resale.
Consequently, the only permitted use of the contents of this cask is for blending purposes and the contents of the cask cannot be bottled as a single malt and/or using or referring to the Glenfarclas Brand.
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Pale mahogany gold.
Huge fruit nose of toffee apple with a background of vanilla. This is undercut with some lemon and mint that cuts through the sweetness to give a great balance. The nose then dries as oak comes through, but the vanilla intesifies and leaves the lasting impression.
Sweet and spicy on entry and then there is a wave of citrus fruits: bitter orange marmalade and candied lemon peel. There is a richness underneath of dark chocolate and toffee that has a dusting of ground clove and cinnamon. At the back there is a sense of bitterness from oak that dries down the palate and at the front there is a slight tinge of kirsch. This is one complex and fun Glenfarclas.
Light for a Glenfarclas, but mature and delicious for the age. Can only get (much) better.
Medium to long with vanilla sweetness and an oak drieness that is tempered by a little honeycomb.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described. Insurance against any damage during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price. Please note that if insurance is not selected, due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #61005Sold 22/11/2020 £30.00 €33.66$40.02
- Lot #59366Sold 22/11/2020 £40.00 €44.88$53.36
- Lot #60274Sold 22/11/2020 £42.50 €47.69$56.70
- Lot #55766Sold 22/11/2020 £45.00 €50.49$60.03
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|20/11/20 10:22||£4,600.00 €5,161.20$6,136.40|
|15/11/20 07:50||£4,500.00 €5,049.00$6,003.00|
|15/11/20 06:20||£4,000.00 €4,488.00$5,336.00|
|14/11/20 10:50||£3,000.00 €3,366.00$4,002.00|
|14/11/20 10:47||£2,000.00 €2,244.00$2,668.00|
|14/11/20 10:47||£1,500.00 €1,683.00$2,001.00|
|14/11/20 09:34||£1,275.00 €1,430.55$1,700.85|
|13/11/20 19:57||£1,250.00 €1,402.50$1,667.50|
|13/11/20 19:26||£1,200.00 €1,346.40$1,600.80|
|13/11/20 19:25||£500.00 €561.00$667.00|