Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Lowland
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Grain
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 62.8%
About the distillery
The North British Distillery Company Ltd is a Scottish grain whisky distillery located in south western Gorgie district of Edinburgh. Established by a group of independent distillers in 1885, it is now a joint venture company between Diageo plc and the privately held Edrington Group. It is Edinburgh’s last working distillery, widely known as the "NB".
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of North British single grain scotch whisky, distilled in 2010.
Originally filled with North British spirit on 18th August 2010, the whisky has since been maturing in an ex-bourbon barrel (cask number #100271623) which is currently held in bond at the North British Distillery.
The cask was regauged in February 2020 summarising the following:
- New bulk 106.7 litres | New strength 62.8% ABV | 67.0 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 152 x 70cl bottles of 9 Year Old North British whisky (turning 10 year old on 18th August 2020).
1) the cask photo shown is for display purposes only and is not the actual cask being sold.
2) the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Colour : Pale straw yellow.
Nose : Dry oak on the nose followed by a sweet honeyed depth. The bourbon barrel brings with it creamy caramel and toffee, with the signature hints of vanilla. The bouquet is light, yet with an underlying power that suggests its age. There is also whispers of hot bitter-orange sponge on the diminish that is both unexpected and welcome.
Palate : Dive in to sweet spice. Think of gingerbread and cinnamon rolls as gandma used to make with a McGowan toffee. The taste id opulent and syrupy but without being clawing. The middle focuses in on the spice until finally there is a relaxing of the spice as the dry oak returns to cleanse the palate.
Body : Full and oily. The spice rolls in and coats the mouth with restrained heat.
Finish : Long and delicate. The balance on this whisky is commendable and the finishing slide from baking spices to oak is impressive.
- Annual storage fees and any cask transfer admin fees will become payable by the buyer.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business or private individual connected to the trade), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #49732Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.05$27.60
- Lot #50018Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.05$27.60
- Lot #50039Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.05$27.60
- Lot #48788Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.05$27.60
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|26/07/20 18:24||£1,525.00 €1,757.87$2,104.20|