Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Highlands
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 61.9%
About the distillery
Royal Brackla distillery is a Highland Scotch whisky distillery near Nairn, Scotland. The distillery is operated by John Dewar & Sons Ltd for Bacardi.
Royal Brackla has a mash tun, 12.5 tonnes and eight wash backs with a total volume of 480,000 litres. Cawdor Burn has been the constant water supply for Royal Brackla, with the Cursack Springs being used for mashing.
The distillery uses four stills to produce its whisky, two wash stills with a combined capacity of 42,000 litres and two spirit stills that have combined capacity of 42,000 litres. The fermentation process lasts for a total of 70 hours and is followed by the distillation process. Tall Royal Brackla stills, designed to allow plenty of reflux, are operated slowly in the distillation process to smooth the blend to maximise copper contact and produce a light spirit. The final stage is maturation and this takes place in oak casks.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Royal Brackla single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 2014.
Originally filled with Royal Brackla spirit on 12th February 2014, after over 5 years of maturation in a sherry butt, the whisky was transferred into a first fill Oloroso hogshead (from Fernando De Castilla’s bodega) in October 2019 (cask number #4A) which is currently held in bond at the Whisky Broker Ltd.
The cask was regauged in May 2020 summarising the following:
- New bulk 133.1 litres | New strength 61.9% ABV | 82.4 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 190 x 70cl bottles of 6 Year Old Royal Brackla whisky.
1) the cask photo shown is for display purposes only and is not the actual cask being sold.
2) the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Colour : Pale straw yellow.
Nose : Rounded sherry assails the senses from this 1st fill Oloroso Hoghead. It is both tame and unctious at the same time. Later you can ascertain the spicy nature underneath and it is powdery and slight. There is also a nosing of milk chocolate that pulls the two togther to give an understated luxury.
Palate : Gloriously sweet and sherried initially. Then comes the spice that builds in heat like a well disciplined Rye. There are pricles of mint with an undercurrent of citrus that helps to curtail the sherry’s sweetness. The retraint and balance for the age statement is remarkable and augurs well for this young spirit. The end does feature a dry back but it is soft and slow.
Body : Light but full. The spice presence coats the mouth with a restrained heat, but the Sherry is the star turn.
Finish : Medium and then a bit more. The balance on this whisky is expert and the finish leads from spice to dryness, with the Sherry hovering overhead.
- Annual storage fees and any cask transfer admin fees will become payable by the buyer.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business or private individual connected to the trade), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #49358Sold 26/07/2020 £35.00 €40.39$48.01
- Lot #50250Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.08$27.44
- Lot #48985Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.08$27.44
- Lot #50040Sold 26/07/2020 £20.00 €23.08$27.44
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|25/07/20 12:52||£5,100.00 €5,885.40$6,996.18|