Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Lowland
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Grain
- Age: 14
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 60.0%
About the distillery
Girvan distillery was founded in 1963 with the installation of its first Coffey still in 1963, which was celebrated with their first official bottling. The company introduced its export single grain whisky, Black Barrel in 1995 to the Spain, Portugal, and Italy markets.
Ladyburn operated as a single malt distillery on site from 1968 until 1975.
As of 2007, the site has also been home of Ailsa Bay Distillery. The facility was christened by HRH Prince Charles in 2009.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Girvan single grain scotch whisky, distilled in 2006.
Originally filled with Girvan spirit on 9th May 2006, the ex-bourbon barrel is currently held in bond at North British distillery.
The cask was regauged on 8th November 2019 summarising the following:
- New bulk 85.2 litres | New strength 60.0% ABV | 51.1 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 121 x 70cl bottles of 14 Year Old Girvan whisky.
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
COLOUR: Good solid gold.
NOSE: Quite light. Sweet malt and vanilla ice cream. Orange oil with a whisp of slightly over cooked butterscotch. Over time the bouquet develops, becoming more mellow and rounded with sweet custard and ginger perkin biscuits.
PALATE: Stunningly smooth with mature oak and echos of polished leather and tobacco leaf. The middle then unfolds into a background of cloves and ginger and this mingles beautifully with dried fruit that shimmers between dried dates and apricot. A hint of dark chocolate and honeyed sweetness that eventually dries to the tip of the tongue.
BODY: Delicately light with an exquisite softness and yet a full etherial, mouthfeel.
FINISH: Medium-long with a re-emergence of the orange folding into a spicy end. It is mannered, complex and finishes on the oak.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer.
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #43051Sold 24/05/2020 £20.00 €22.47$27.24
- Lot #40773Sold 24/05/2020 £20.00 €22.47$27.24
- Lot #44436Sold 24/05/2020 £20.00 €22.47$27.24
- Lot #45213Sold 24/05/2020 £20.00 €22.47$27.24
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|24/05/20 17:53||£1,725.00 €1,938.21$2,349.80|