Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Age: 25
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 49.3%
About the distillery
Braeval distillery is situated in Chapeltown, Banffshire, Scotland. Founded in 1973 as Braes of Glenlivet, the distillery is owned by Chivas Brothers. The name was changed to avoid confusion with an unrelated single malt.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Braes of Glenlivet single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 1994.
Originally filled with Braes of Glenlivet spirit on 20th December 1994, after over 23 years of maturation the whisky was transferred into a first fill Bourbon Koval Barrel in September 2018 (cask number 180684) which is currently held in bond at Coleburn distillery.
The cask was regauged on 12th February 2020 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 203.3 litres | Original strength 63.6% ABV | 129.3 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 98.11 litres | New strength 49.3% ABV | 48.37 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 140 x 70cl bottles of 25 Year Old Braes of Glenlivet whisky.
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
One of the last casks filled under Braeval’s old name of Braes of Glenlivet. The nose is an immediate rush of meadow herb and green apples, a tinge of waxed wood and sweet vanilla from the first fill Koval Bourbon cask. On the finish a refreshing menthol just in the background.
Very sweet vanilla mingles with woody notes and mellows into very soft spice with prickles of white pepper. The age shines through in the smoothness and at the end there is an unexpected and delightful mineral/metallic zing with a fruited halo of the green apples and maybe a little dried pineapple.
Delicately light with a softness and full mouthfeel. Just right for the ABV.
Fresh medow and spice. Soft and lingering with an afterglow of apple and minerality. The sweetness of the vanilla lasts right to the end.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer (currently £2.50 per week).
- Condition of Sale: This cask must continue to be stored in its current location and the bottling process must be managed by the current broker (for further information please get in touch).
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described. Insurance against any damage during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price. Please note that if insurance is not selected, due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #39744Did not meet Reserve £20.00 €22.33$24.35
- Lot #43703Did not meet Reserve £20.00 €22.33$24.35
- Lot #43780Sold 24/05/2020 £20.00 €22.33$24.35
- Lot #43051Sold 24/05/2020 £20.00 €22.33$24.35
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|19/05/20 09:34||£9,000.00 €10,048.50$10,957.50|
|15/05/20 20:14||£7,000.00 €7,815.50$8,522.50|
|15/05/20 19:37||£6,000.00 €6,699.00$7,305.00|
|15/05/20 19:18||£5,000.00 €5,582.50$6,087.50|
|15/05/20 19:10||£2,000.00 €2,233.00$2,435.00|