Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Highlands
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Age: 11
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 63.5%
About the distillery
The Macduff Distillery Company was founded in 1962. During its history, the distillery's official name has fluctuated between Glen Deveron and MacDuff with official bottlings mostly having been released under the former. In 1972, Glen Deveron/Macduff was acquired by William Lawson Distillers Ltd. (famous for a blend by the same name), which became part of the Martini & Rossi corporation in 1980. In 1992 the owners Martini & Rossi were acquired by the Bacardi Corporation. Bacardi put their subsidiary John Dewar & Sons in charge of the Macduff distillery. Dewar & Sons also controls Royal Brackla, Aberfeldy, Aultmore, and Craigellachie.
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Macduff single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 2009.
Originally filled with Macduff spirit on 30th March 2009, after over 9 years of maturation the whisky was transferred into a first fill Chateau Palmer Barrique in September 2018 (cask number 180264) which is currently held in bond at Coleburn distillery.
The cask was regauged on 12th February 2020 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 253.44 litres | Original strength 69.8% ABV | 176.9 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 214.26 litres | New strength 63.5% ABV | 136.05 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 306 x 70cl bottles of 11 Year Old Macduff whisky.
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Soft gold, tinged with mahogany.
Young on the nose, but showing signs of maturing restraint. Caramel candy and fudge with a little vanilla. Underneath there is pears and pineapple and from the Chateau Palmer barrique there is a glazing of grappa grape.
A light etherial smoothness. The fruit floats in the background before a surge of spiced tobacco leaf subtly coats the tongue. Faint floral notes rise above the spice. For its age this is beautiful, the tempering from the Margaux can only improve. An ideal Malt for laying down as the developing finesse can already be diserned.
Etherial and light with a wonderful mouthfeel. An exquisite softness and a full, yet etherial, mouthfeel.
For a young Malt the structure is already there. The build of the finish is strong and the diminuendo relaxes into a pleasing length.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer (currently £2.50 per week).
- Condition of Sale: This cask must continue to be stored in its current location and the bottling process must be managed by the current broker (for further information please get in touch).
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described.
Insurance against breakage or loss during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price.
Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #42243Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €23.04$27.78
- Lot #39191Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €23.04$27.78
- Lot #42631Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €23.04$27.78
- Lot #42632Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €23.04$27.78
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|26/04/20 13:26||£6,000.00 €6,911.40$8,334.60|