Bidding is available to signed in members only!Log in to start bidding
- Country: Scotland
- Region: Speyside
- Distillery status: Operational
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Age: 12 (in May 2020)
- Size: Cask
- Delivery weight: 2.00kg
- Strength: 64.9%
About the distillery
The Craigellachie distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Aberlour, Banffshire near the village of Craigellachie at the centre of the Speyside whisky producing area of Scotland. The name Craigellachie means 'rocky hill' and refers to the cliff that overlooks the Spey across from The Macallan distillery.
Bacardi operates the distillery through its subsidiary Dewar & Sons. Dewar & Sons also controls Royal Brackla, Aberfeldy, Aultmore, and Macduff.
Pronunciation : "craig-ella-key"
This lot offers the fantastic opportunity to own one cask of Craigellachie single malt scotch whisky, distilled in 2008.
Originally filled with Craigellachie spirit on 26th May 2008, after over 10 years of maturation the whisky was transferred into a first fill Oloroso Sherry hogshead in September 2018 (cask number 180298) which is currently held in bond at Coleburn distillery.
The cask was regauged on 12th February 2020 summarising the following:
- Original bulk 251.22 litres | Original strength 69.7% ABV | 175.1 litres of alcohol
- New bulk 212.51 litres | New strength 64.9% ABV | 137.92 litres of alcohol
This would currently yield approximately 303 x 70cl bottles of 12 Year Old (in May 2020) Craigellachie whisky.
Please note the sample is shown for confirmation of the colour only and is not included in the sale (it has been consumed to populate tasting notes!).
UNOFFICIAL TASTING NOTES:
Light rose gold.
Dry vanilla with a little butterscotch sweetness. Oaked woody notes with a touch of mint and a rounded waxy structure in the background. The middle adds some marzipan and cherry kernal with some dark and bitter caramel.
Alcoholic and more powerful than the nose suggests. The sherry makes its presence felt and rounds out the oak to reveal a warming spice that coats the tip of the tongue. The middle section gives fruit cake polished leather and the cherry reappears in a lovely softening of the spice.
Full bodied and creamy – full on sherry that gives viscocity and a definite chewiness.
Warm, syrupy and sticky with sherry. The oak reappears to dry the palate and leaves a lingering edge that is both bitter and sweet. This malt will definitely take a few more years in the cask and mellow to a great sherried Speysider.
- Cask storage fee will become payable by the buyer (currently £2.50 per week).
- Condition of Sale: This cask must continue to be stored in its current location and the bottling process must be managed by the current broker (for further information please get in touch).
- Legal ownership of the cask will be transferred to the buyer once payment has been received by Whisky Hammer. Funds will be held by Whisky Hammer until the buyer is in legal receipt of the cask ownership to protect the buyer's transaction.
- Ownership of this cask is auctioned in bond. The buyer will be responsible for any costs relating to removing the cask from bond in the future (i.e UK excise duty / VAT) as well as any other costs associated with cask movement and bottling.
- Non-UK buyers must appoint a duty representative to act on his/her behalf for transfer of ownership of the cask (Whisky Hammer can assist in finding a UK representative if required). The duty representative will need to be registered with HMRC and will normally charge an annual fee for the service.
- Please note if the new owner is a UK revenue trader (business), they will need to be registered with HMRC and hold a WOWGR certificate.
Please ensure that you undertake close up viewing/inspection prior to placing any bid. If you are not satisfied with the photos, or if you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please click "ask a question" to make specific enquiries or to receive a more in-depth condition report. Lots will be sold as seen and described. Insurance against any damage during transit is available at checkout at a cost of 3% of the hammer price. Please note that if insurance is not selected, due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.
More Like This
- Lot #42774Sold 26/04/2020 £75.00 €82.64$97.94
- Lot #42243Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €22.04$26.12
- Lot #43303Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €22.04$26.12
- Lot #39993Sold 26/04/2020 £20.00 €22.04$26.12
* denotes your bids
|Date / Time||Bid Amount|
|26/04/20 18:26||£9,200.00 €10,137.48$12,014.28|
|26/04/20 16:01||£9,100.00 €10,027.29$11,883.69|
|26/04/20 13:23||£9,000.00 €9,917.10$11,753.10|
|26/04/20 03:12||£7,000.00 €7,713.30$9,141.30|
|26/04/20 03:11||£6,500.00 €7,162.35$8,488.35|
|24/04/20 13:19||£6,200.00 €6,831.78$8,096.58|
|24/04/20 13:18||£6,100.00 €6,721.59$7,965.99|
|21/04/20 20:31||£6,000.00 €6,611.40$7,835.40|
|21/04/20 20:30||£4,000.00 €4,407.60$5,223.60|
|19/04/20 10:21||£2,100.00 €2,313.99$2,742.39|
|17/04/20 21:34||£2,000.00 €2,203.80$2,611.80|
|17/04/20 19:25||£1,800.00 €1,983.42$2,350.62|