How to Sell Whisky Casks
If you are considering selling a cask of whisky, Whisky Hammer can offer a hassle-free and cost-free solution which has proven to achieve top value prices for sellers
Why sell your cask with Whisky Hammer?
No Fees! Cask sales attract 0% selling commission and zero lot registration fees
Proven track record – historic sales speak for themselves – see historic sales further down the page
Rapid sales proceeds transfer – auction proceeds are typically transferred to the seller’s nominated bank account within 48 hours of legal transfer of cask ownership
Dedicated personalised support, no robots! – a dedicated team and allocated relationship manager will take care of you from initiation through to transferring your sales proceeds
Established and trusted – Whisky Hammer is proud of its 5-star TrustPilot rating and endorsements from previous cask sellers (see reviews below)
Get In Touch / Valuation
The first step is to get in touch with our team, either by phone (+44 (0)1358 878070) or by e-mail ([email protected]) to provide us with some high-level details of your cask, such as where the whisky was distilled, year of distillation and any recent re-gauging information that you have. At this stage we will be able to advise an approximate valuation for the cask and help answer any questions you have around the selling process.
In order to facilitate the cask sale we require the cask to be re-gauged within the 6 months prior to the planned auction date. If you already have this information, that’s great! If not, you might need to get in touch with the distillery to do this for you.
If you have a sample of the cask this is very helpful - it will help the sales process by allowing us to add tasting notes (at the seller's discretion) and show off the colour of the whisky!
We will then prepare a very simple, short, legal contract which protects all parties (mainly you as seller!) to ensure the sale process is hassle-free.
We will prepare all marketing materials required to promote your cask to our expansive global membership base of whisky collectors/investors, on social media and also on the auction itself. Once live, the auction will run for 10-days and you can enjoy watching the bids arrive. A reserve price (to protect a minimum price or ‘no sale’) can be added at your discretion, and we can help advise on the level to set this at before the auction starts.
Post Auction / Proceeds Transfer
Following the end of the auction, we will facilitate the transfer of legal ownership with the seller, the new buyer and the distillery. At this stage we ask that you are patient, as the legal transfer can take anything from 1 week to 3 months, depending on the new buyer location and the distillery processing time. Once we are satisfied that the legal transfer has completed, the auction proceeds will be transferred into your nominated account within 48 hours. During this stage we will be chasing both the buyer and distillery on your behalf to complete the legal transfer and conclude the sale as promptly as we can.
Successful whisky cask auctions by Whisky Hammer
- Lot #55745Sold 25/10/2020 £64,700.00 €71,661.72$87,137.96
- Lot #26963Sold 22/03/2020 £24,000.00 €26,582.40$32,323.20
- Lot #43169Sold 23/08/2020 £14,100.00 €15,617.16$18,989.88
- Lot #55663Sold 27/09/2020 £14,000.00 €15,506.40$18,855.20
- Lot #49308Sold 26/07/2020 £5,100.00 €5,648.76$6,868.68
- Lot #58761Sold 22/11/2020 £2,000.00 €2,215.20$2,693.60
- Lot #58760Sold 22/11/2020 £2,000.00 €2,215.20$2,693.60
- Lot #49307Sold 26/07/2020 £217,500.00 €240,903.00$292,929.00
- Lot #49309Sold 26/07/2020 £1,525.00 €1,689.09$2,053.87
- Lot #45712Sold 24/05/2020 £1,325.00 €1,467.57$1,784.51
- Lot #49311Sold 26/07/2020 £1,300.00 €1,439.88$1,750.84
- Lot #45713Sold 24/05/2020 £1,725.00 €1,910.61$2,323.23
- Lot #33126Sold 24/11/2019 £10,600.00 €11,740.56$14,276.08
- Lot #61463Sold 22/11/2020 £3,000.00 €3,322.80$4,040.40
- Lot #58398Sold 25/10/2020 £1,550.00 €1,716.78$2,087.54
- Lot #45710Sold 24/05/2020 £1,725.00 €1,910.61$2,323.23
- Lot #22510Sold 24/02/2019 £161,500.00 €178,877.40$217,508.20
- Lot #35376Sold 27/10/2019 £160,500.00 €177,769.80$216,161.40
- Lot #58397Sold 25/10/2020 £4,050.00 €4,485.78$5,454.54
- Lot #43165Sold 26/04/2020 £6,000.00 €6,645.60$8,080.80
- Lot #26962Sold 26/05/2019 £24,100.00 €26,693.16$32,457.88
- Lot #49310Sold 26/07/2020 £2,900.00 €3,212.04$3,905.72
- Lot #43164Sold 26/04/2020 £9,200.00 €10,189.92$12,390.56
Choosing who to entrust with the sale of my 1989 Macallan Cask was a difficult process that took a lot of consideration. The decision was made simple and clear after having discussion with Whisky Hammer. The tactics, advertising ideas and overall thought process for the sale of the cask that Whisky Hammer put forward were precise and straight forward.
The auction for the cask, communication with Whisky Hammer throughout the process and receiving final payment for the cask couldn’t of gone any smoother. The auction process itself was exciting, up to date and intriguing throughout.
It was a joy to work with Duncan and the company and I look forward to more success going forward.
I fortunately decided to give Whisky Hammer the opportunity to sell off my Whisky Cask because from the outset the team were very helpful explaining the whole process clearly from pre-planning, selling the Cask, after sale and Whisky Hammer fees which have no hidden costs. Any queries I had, I phoned them and they dealt with them immediately. The length of process was very acceptable from the initial inquiry to receiving the money in the bank.
I took time in deciding who to sell my cask with as there are a number of auction sites out there all offering a similar service. I settled on Whisky Hammer as their team were friendly, informed and really seemed to care about my business. After the sale they dealt with all the transfer paperwork and sent the money to my account promptly. I would certainly recommend Whisky Hammer to anyone wanting to sell their beloved cask!
Looking To Invest In Whisky Casks?
Enter your details below and we will let you know as soon as we have casks available in our auctions.